A kitchen is much like a workshop, where the machineries of taste and texture are crafted into works of edible art. With only a paring knife and a sauce pan, you can still make brilliant dishes. But let’s face it, the right kitchen tool can make you faster and better.
Reviewed here: A great kitchen tool you probably don’t know about
Blendtec 52-601-BHM Kitchen Mill 60-Ounce Electric Grain Mill
A food mill for grains. Make your own healthful flour from whole grains.
Another tool every good chef must learn to use is the pressure cooker. Dramatically shortens cooking time for beans and lentils, and turns tough, cheap cuts of meat like chuck roast into tender, mouth-watering pot roast. Doubles as a canner, for “putting up” the fruits of your garden in glass jars. Talk about home economics!
Canning is easier and safer than you think. Modern pressure cooker/canner seals are designed to fail and release pressure making exploding pressure cookers are relic of the past. Sorry to take the drama out of it, but your friends will still be impressed. Nothing quite as satisfying as giving away food you canned yourself.
Presto 22-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner
- 22-quart pressure cooker/canner holds 10 pint jars or 7 quart jars
- Constructed of strong, warp-resistant aluminum; use on regular and smooth-top ranges; not for induction ranges, get a steel one!
- Air vent/cover lock pressurizes only when the cover is closed properly
- Easy-to-read gauge registers a range of processing pressures
- Includes complete instruction and recipe book and cooking/canning rack