Now if someone takes an interest in an ad, that can increase the revenue. (I have to choose my words carefully so as not to violate the terms of my agreement with Google AdSense.)
A penny a day is a treasure beyond my wildest dreams.
Does that sound insane?
Well, it probably is.
When you begin blogging you have to cross a wide, dry desert of neglect. People and search engines don’t find you. Without taking some action you could stay in this desert of obscurity for many moons.
What I did:
1.) I wrote articles intended to be useful and interesting. This began my trek across the desert. A tortoise whizzed by me.
2) I installed plugins designed to increase SEO. These helped link my articles internally. HeadSpace 2, the plugin, offered me ways to lengthen titles and add relevant text to lure search engines. The tortoise disappeared over the horizon.
3) I learned about SEO. It’s not that hard. You put words that searchers seek in your title, your first line, headlines that use the H2 and H3 headings, bold. What words do people want? Get a Google AdSense account and go to Keyword Tool. Put in a word. If people aren’t searching for it, find another. I began getting some views.
4) Comment on other sites. Say something moderately intelligent. These comments will link back to you site. I got lucky and commented on some high ranking sites. This made a huge difference.
5) Get on Facebook and Twitter. This helped me a little. It showed me the faces of potentially eager readers. Be Careful Who You Friend because you may become distracted from your mission. You may also make some good friends. The desert is a lonely place. Friends will buoy your spirit. Some will come to your blog. Some are extremely special.
6) I started a campaign of commenting. There are two reasons. People will see you and search engines will see backlinks. I took this very seriously and it made a big difference. I passed a tortoise one day. I was still not making a penny a day.
7) Keep interacting with people. Set up an RSS feed. Set up a Facebook fan page. Put share buttons on your articles. I use Sexy Bookmarks, a free plugin.
8) Get older. Search engines like older sites.
9) Keep writing articles, then go around and promote them on other sites.
10) I got Premium CommentLuv. This attracted a lot of commenters. People comment because you commented on their blogs, and also to create a backlink to their site (or specific article. I use CommentLuv on other people’s sites. This is a fun way to make links.
11) Get other types of ads and affiliate accounts, such as Amazon. For me, these have done better than Adsense.
After a year of blogging, I have begun to cross the desert and making a little money.